MY FIRST BLOG. CELEBRATION TIME!

It took ten years to get round to actually obeying God and printing the book I knew He had prompted me to write. This confession from someone who would say she always obeys instantly and joyfully. So God said write a book about knowing Me, and it took four years of guilty procrastination before I actually and literally put pen to paper. Literally ballpoint pen in longhand onto A4 spiral bound book.Place? Mauritius. Time frame? Two weeks. Achieved? Seven chapters. Result? Two more years of further guilt and the awareness that obedience means finishing a project and not just starting it. Then a month long visit to wonderful friends in Perth and chapters 8 to 16 accomplished. A couple of years later I was in a ministry team meeting and received the gentlest rebuke ever. "Fiona, I just want to mention that it's nearly 2010 and we're still waiting for your book."

Conviction deluxe! (Thanks Granti!) This was followed by two more God prompts. One pastor friend sent an sms out of the blue asking when my book would be in print and followed this up by sowing R10000 to get it into print. Gulp! Further gulp when a week later another ministry friend met me "accidentally" at a b and b we were both staying at and asked the same question. My excuses were now sounding so hollow they had an echo. He said, "What would it take for you to finish this book? do you need to get away? We'll pay for you to go away and get it done." Short of an audible voice and a lightning bolt, I'd heard enough. Thanks Peter and Rory.So I went away and finished what I'd started nine years previously.

God's patience astounds me. My capacity to disobey by partially obeying horrifies me. So does the realisation that the ugly reason for my unwillingness to get the book into print was fear of man, an issue I thought I had overcome. Truthfully though, I was scared that no one would want to read what I had poured my heart into. There are some people whom I enjoy hearing preach, but when I read their books, I seldom get past the first chapter. What if people felt the same way about me? (Always assuming they even enjoyed my preaching..)

So 2010 dawned with my book finally and thankfully in print and for the first time in nearly a decade I didn't enter the new year with a sense of unfinished business. That is until I was told by Cheslyn, the member of my ministry team fondly known as Techno Barbie, that I now had to write regular blogs. After I had finished screaming, I inquired what that entailed. She told me and kept right on telling me until today dawned. And here we are! I am blogging, and this first one is for you Ches! I think I've learned that early capitulation is the way to go for sanity sake. (Did I MENTION that I have a past in psychiatry? No? That's another story but here's a hint. I wasn't a psychiatrist!) Another time I'll tell the story of recording an audio book. It involves snoring poodles, demented hadedas, and an incredibly patient and composed recording boffin.

For now, though, I've said enough. I just hope SOMEONE reads this!
Blessings, Fiona

Comments

  1. Well done Fiona on your first blog. 'Congratulations' and 'blog' in the same sentence seems a strange combination so I'l stick to 'well done'. I look forward to many more entertaining, purpose-filled, God inspired blogs. Lots of L♡ve illana xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a natural. Your writing is easy to read and your hints as to what awaits in future blogs has successfully whet the appetite for more! May your pen never run dry. Well done , Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you thought nobody would read your blogs, BIG surprise as your blog even even inspired me to check it out despite being a terrible web surfer! Well done and I can't wait to receive your future techno inspirations and wondeful teachings. Love. Thys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Fiona, so glad you finished the book. I also had no clue how a blog worked, but this is great! Have lots of fun letting us in on the things you want to share. Lots of love, Vashti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it...and enjoyed too :D Congrats on your 1st blog. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You've given us all a lot to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi fiona. i have read your book cover to cover as a part of my quiet time meditation and it has really opened things up in my life. the main thing that i come away with is wanting to know our creator in the way that you know him. i will be reading your book again because i know there is other stuff for me to find in those pages :-) love jarl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Fiona. Welcome to my world. IT has always been a passion of mine and it is great to have you permanently on my home page. I will eagerly await your latest additions to what I am sure will be an awesome, Spirit filled, inspiring blog. No pressure! :) Love Hein

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Fiona,

    Congrats on your first blog.

    And yes we will read it!
    Had a good giggle about the procrastination!:0)
    CAn not wait to hear about the snoring poodle cos I am such a doggy fan.
    Looking forward to your next installment all the way in Ballito!

    Belinda Bolte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been feeling guilty about starting, & to date, not managing to finish reading your book....now I know where this guilt comes from!
    Greatly looking forward to many more of your B&B's (Blogs&Blessings)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Fiona,

    You are an amazing woman and a very great inspiration. If only I could achieve in my life what you have achieved in yours! Its so great that you have a blog - as if we have not been blessed enough by you. Now we are blessed even more!! Wow - thank you and look forward to your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lesson continues! Cheslyn is here teaching me how to post my own comment. I have been longing to say thank you to those of you who have commented. You have absolutely no idea how thrilled I am that you have read my blog and been so positive. This encourages me to keep going as long as you keep reading. God bless and many thanks, Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your writing is so interesting and leaves me wanting more. Humorous too... you make me laugh and smile with your words. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Pastor Fiona,
    I've been watching you on kimtv and just found your blog, good stuff. God recently started pushing me out of my shell and I have also started blogging for the first time. I wish you happy blogging. If you want to check out my blog it is walkinspirit.com
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a refreshing person Fiona. Thak u 4 this reminder of God's patience. I needed the encouragement. Lusi

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see in you Fiona that you have the character of a good writer because you made me interested in it.CPAP supplies

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment