NO MONSTERS

It is now more than a year since Christie and Sid were married. It is almost unbelievable to me how many people are eagerly awaiting the announcement that they are pregnant. I don't know if I am peculiar, or if the rest of the world is. I frequently think of the rhyme, "All the world is mad except thee and me, and sometimes I am not so sure about thee!" I don't share the universal, (or so it seems), urgency to see young people dating, and once dating, engaged, and once engaged, married, and once married, pregnant, and once the first child has arrived, pleas for the second, and then the third, and then the fourth, and thereafter advice on birth control. My counsel to young and old alike is simple - enjoy the season you are in and don't rush into the next one. This may be one of the happiest times of your life, so savour every moment.

A few months ago I announced on social media as well as in person to the church that I had a very exciting announcement to make on the following Sunday. The rumour mill began to buzz, and if we happened to have an in-house bookie, there would have been short odds on my news being that my child was pregnant. I found that out afterwards. I also found that in light of the anticipation of a pregnancy, my ACTUAL announcement that we had run out of space, necessitating the introduction of another Sunday morning service, was an anti-climax to a lot of people. Our ministry team were excited, thrilled, and grateful to God, and within a short time, so was everyone else. I was astounded that anyone would imagine that I would give that kind of build-up to what, when it happens, will be thrilling, but not the type of news that needs an angel heralding the announcement.

It has, however, caused me to think of possible grandmotherhood, and I have to confess a smidgin of broodiness, combined with some excitement at the prospect of what this child could be like. For those who don't know Christie or Sid, let me enlighten you. They both have very high IQs, quirky senses of humour, and the bonus of huge blue eyes. All I have to formulate in my mind, as I anticipate this as yet unconceived child, is Christie as a very young child. Having an exceptionally bright child is a challenge all of its own. I have a legion of stories about Christie, but one will suffice here. At the age of 3 or 4 she developed a totally unreasonable fear of tramps. Not tramps in the American sense of loose women, but the hobo variety of tramp. One day, driving home from an outing in the early evening, I remarked to Christie's dad, "Look at that tramp!" I have no idea why this lodged in Christie's brain as a fearful person to be avoided at all costs, but it did. The result was that whenever we went out she would ask in a quavering voice if any tramps would be there.

Not too long after this started I read a magazine article which dealt with children's fears. A mother related that she had cured her child's fear of monsters in his room. That was never going to be an issue for Christie, raised to know there was no such thing, but who needed fantasy monsters when real live tramps actually existed, and could be seen on the road by your mother? This woman had the bright idea of painting a sign which read, "NO MONSTERS ALLOWED IN JASON'S ROOM." This apparently solved the problem, and Jason slept peacefully, confident that his room was a no go area to monsters. I gleefully seized upon this idea. I had tried prayer and coaxing to no avail, so maybe something as simple as a sign on the door would be the solution. But I wasn't counting on a mind that was anything but simple.

"Look," I said proudly to Christie. "I made a sign for your bedroom door. It says, 'NO TRAMPS ALLOWED IN CHRISTIE'S ROOM."

Instead of getting the happy result I hoped for, her big eyes grew wider with sheer terror, her voice shook as she raised it several decibels, and demanded, "HOW DO THEY KNOW WHERE I LIVE?" So much for magazine articles, I thought bitterly, as I ripped up the offending sign and tried to explain my way out of that one.

I try to imagine a child born to these two drummers, they of the complex minds and complicated rhythms, and I can't help thrilling with anticipation. I realise something else too. God is just as excited when a new soul is born into His kingdom. No wonder there is rejoicing in heaven when someone is born again. I truly believe that our Heavenly Father knows EXACTLY how to treat each one of His children. He would never deal with Christie as He did with Jason, because no two of us are alike. I can certainly testify as to how He dealt with my claustrophobia, but that is not necessarily how He will deal with yours. One scripture may release great faith in you for healing, but it may not have the same effect on me. I may not be afraid of walking alone in the dark, but I cannot put that on someone else. I can go to sleep now, totally secure in the personal love my Father has for me, knowing no evil monsters or tramps or demons can come near me. I pray that you can too.

Till next month, God bless and keep you. And enjoy your life TODAY.

Comments

Post a Comment